Never Before in the History...

…of the Bachelor

I confess. The ads and promised “shocking ending” lured me like a trout seeing a wiggling worm at the end of the line. “Boy meets many girls, boy falls madly in love, boy asks one dream girl to marry him and live happily ever after…”

But then boy takes it back, girl cries in humiliation (hope the paycheck helped the sting and pays for some of the therapy) and then boy asks other girl to have coffee.

Laugh if you will, be disgusted as you should – but the truth is we are ALL longing for the “happily-ever-after” the one TRUE love to make us eternally happy, and the even sadder fact is we really do believe we will find a human being that can meet all those needs and fill the hole in our heart approximately the size of one bite out of an apple. (see Genesis 3:6)

During these uncertain times, we needed to be distracted and for the past six weeks or so, for some - the Bachelor proved a suitable outlet for those who find Jack Bauer (24) too intense. The wine infused, evening gowned, false-eyelashed women vying for the attention of a single father was far more amusing and after all, at the beginning of the program the Bachelor said he did find the “love of his life”. This of course came after the first “love of his life” the Bachelorette dumped him for a wild snowboard champion. Go figure.

“He has taken me to the banquet hall, and His banner over me is love” Song of Songs 2:4

I am thankful my life’s ups and downs are not played out in tabloids or television screens. I praise God, He knows all the details of my life and we don’t have to have a special time, place or “one-on-one” date to experience intimacy. He has seen me naked! He endures my anger at the unexplained, He comforts me when I cry, He never ever turns His back on me. He is ready, willing and waiting. He demonstrated His love once and for all. There is no taking the engagement ring back, no second thoughts the more time He spends with me, NO change of mind.

“I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you in with loving-kindness.” Jeremiah 31:3

Next Monday, I leave for Kenya on a journey to share the meaning of true and real everlasting love. Our team will meet with nationals serving the Maasai tribal community located in the region of Amboseli. After two days at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, we will travel north to Kitale and meet with local pastors and orphanage workers to prepare for the team traveling in August. Kitale is the area where much of the tribal violence broke out after the elections. We pray to minister to the hearts and spirits of the children and adults we encounter. Our desire is to be an encouragement and bring hope of the Living God.

“As the Father sent Me, so send I you.” John 20:21

You might think I’m crazy; I’ve been home from India just a little over two weeks. But what is crazier – thinking true love can be found in a competition, or knowing True Love was given and wanting to tell the world the message of John 3:16?

“They preached with joyful urgency that life can be radically different” Mark 6:12 The Message

Urgently smiling
Living radically different
In His service

Popular Posts