Rudolph


... the Red-Nosed Savior!?

There is snow falling in Texas today - most unusual as it was a unseasonably warm day yesterday with high temperature reaching almost 70 degrees! Anyone who has lived in Texas very long, learns quickly - there are no seasonal sureties, and on any given day spring can be winter and winter like a promise of spring.

Unpredictable
Unseasonable
All of the above.

Christmas is three days away, and as I look out my window and see the snow falling at a "blizzard's" rate (well after all I am a Texan) I am thinking of the "strange unpredictable, unseasonable way" God chose to save His world.

I thought of Rudolph too, and actually for the first time I saw the parallel found in the Gospel message. Someone unpopular, made fun of by the bigshots (wonder what the Pharisees Reindeer Games would looked like?) the last person you would think of to "save the day". Yet Santa chose Rudolph, he had unique properties about him that would "light the way in the dark".

"In Him was life, and that life was the light of men" John 1:4

A baby in a manger? Funny way to get started - doesn't look good on a resume - leaves room for skepticism but throws the door wide open for FAITH.

"you know Dasher and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blixen
But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?"

I don't think I'll be singing the tune so casually. And I wonder if you know the most famous Light of all?

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8: 12

Popular Posts