"I Know..

... what your visit means to the children."

Those were the first tearful words from the last University student to hug me goodbye after the performance. I thanked her, but saw her turn her head to hide the tears running down her cheeks. I embraced her again and and through her tears she explained, "I am from the countryside, from a horrible childhood. My family was very poor, and I often did not have clothes to wear or even food. We lived in a terrible house that really was not even a house." She could hardly completer her sentences. "I know the greatest thing you give, you give hope. Tonight you have helped me understand that I too can give the gift of hope."

American culture is built on hope; with hard work anybody has a chance at greatness, paupers can become millionaires, people without education can teach themselves to read by fireside and change the nation (President Lincoln). One of the greatest privileges of our country, the land of "opportunity", is the abundance of hope.

The students prepared their questions in advance. They were cheerful, open and inquisitive about many aspects of non-profit work. It did not take long before the proverbial question was asked, "why do you do this type of work." From then on the discussion was centered on faith in the Living God. The Truth, the Light, the Hope and great love of God was proclaimed boldly to the eager, listening audience.

As we were heading back to the hotel after the performance discussing the many thoughtful and provocative questions of the students, D commented in an atheist society, when God's love is shown people respond.

The harvest is ripe, pray for more workers! And keep up your prayers for this one.

Sowing seeds of love in the field smiling

Popular Posts