Toto's Visit to Elah

"Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew their battle line". 1 Sam 17:2

In a few short hours, once again I'll board a plane bound for a place exactly halfway around the world. Far from Kansas and nowhere near the Land of OZ. It takes a long long long long long time to get there, I tell the children of the village. The number of times I say "long" always makes them laugh. But the reality is this- is no laughing matter.

I still have much to do, last minute things to pack, trash to take out, mail to drop off, etc.. etc... BUT, I had to just breath this morning and keep the MAIN thing the MAIN thing; my daily reading of the Word, Oswald Chamber devotion, and finish the last page of my January devotion book "Lessons from John". It is written by my dear friend Dr. Betsy Botts on things she has learned from her son with autism. For the past 31 days it has blessed me and given me an awareness of the many people and ways God pours restoration into my life. The last chapter is "the Valley of Elah" (where David defeats Goliath).

As I read the story and reflected on how the battle lines had been drawn, the enemy facing the Israelites and taunting them. I thought about what has happened in my personal, spiritual and family life's battlefields over the last several days. I can usually count on some form of attack by the enemy BUT, this week was a doozy!

I think our cultural Christian tendency is to be comfortable "holding our ground" camped out, looking at the enemy and listening to his taunting. After all, as long as we don't go down to the "valley" and face the giant we are pretty much safe - but sorry (and shamed).

It took a shepherd boy to visit the camp to question "why are you listening to this?". Everyday we hear the name of God profaned from all forms of individuals, media, politicians, irritated drivers, you name we hear it - and we stay encamped.

We are called to BATTLE, not campgrounds. When Goliath ridiculed the size of the boy who "manned up" David responded by saying "it's not me - it's my God who will hand you over". God has given us victory over the powers of darkness. He has given us authority to cast out demonic influence - not just in foreign lands filled with pagan gods, but the demonic influences in our own families, neighborhoods and country. He HAS given us WEAPONS to bring down strongholds. If one stone can take down a nine foot giant - just think what your faithful prayers are "nuking" in the realms of the heavenlies!

Vicki Mullins (director of orphan ministries at East West) and I are headed down to the Valley of Elah today. For the next two weeks we will be taking back Kingdom ground held by the enemy. This IS an area of extremist activity but we are armed with far more than stones and a sling shot.
We have YOU!

And HIM! The Lord our God goes before us in the battle, our eyes are fixed on Him and He promises the victory.
Pray up
March on

And don't be afraid to walk down into your own Valley of Elah even if you think "what, I've just been tending sheep". Our God is always faithful to those who call upon His name!

Smiling and picking up river rocksI invite you to share in this adventure.

Popular Posts