Doctors Luke and Laura

No, General Hospital fans, Luke and Laura did not go to med school and become anything other than the Soap Opera characters they play.

I am referring to the writer of the Gospel book and Dr. Laura (of recent notoriety on her gross political incorrectness).

I don't know the context or content; when, where, why or what she said other than the number of times I heard quoted on the news she used THE derogatory term. But come on, we know she is not stupid - she's a doctor! What WAS she thinking?

I thought of this bit of celebrity news tonight because when I looked up the verse I wanted to use to relate today's tale, I realized it was only found in the "doctor's" account of the Nativity.

We listen to doctors.

We put a lot of credence to their words; especially when we feel bad, or are waiting for a diagnosis.

I learned (re-learned) the account of the Angels' visit to the shepherds is only noted in the book of Luke. The physician told of the supernatural happenings announcing the birth. It obviously impressed him, being a man of science, to add that aspect of the Nativity to his writings on the life of Christ.

"...on earth peace, and good will to all men." Luke 2:14

Funny, that is not the way I remembered it. I thought it was "Peace on earth, good will to men." That phrasing, (Google is great) is actually from a Civil War poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow set to music and know as "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day."

I wanted to use the verse as a "play on words," for tonight, here on the East Coast shore, we had a Hawaiian Luau. I am spending my time serving Marines and their families who bring "peace on earth." Several volunteers spent the better part of this afternoon decorating and transforming the entrance to the dining room into a tropical backdrop to take family photos as they arrived.

I brought Hawaiian style shirts for all the participants (I never travel light) for the most part purchased at ...

drum roll please...

Goodwill!

Here we had "peace on earth and Goodwill ON men!"

Perhaps you had to be there to appreciate the festivities - but it was a picture of "a whole lot of happy."* Absolutely supernatural, and certainly worthy of a Longfellow poem!

Not one of the Special Operations Command Unit turned down the opportunity to don a lei and put a floral shirt on top of their own attire. They were even coordinating the colors of the flowers to match their shirts. These are Marines - what is going on?

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." Proverbs 17:22

I don't know (and don't particularly care) what Dr. Laura was doing, but Dr. Luke wanted future generations to know what the Angels announced.

God sent His Son for earth's peace; and yet two thousand years later it is still costing lives, and blood is still being shed for its purchase. AND there are still men and women willing to die to give that gift to people they will never meet.

"And in despair, I bow'd my head: "There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song, of Peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep; "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep; The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with Peace on earth, good will to men."

I have had the great honor to meet and to serve some of the men and women who have VOLUNTEERED to fight for my peace - on my piece of this earth.
I am privileged to call many of them friends.

I will keep coming, and going as long as people like you are willing

to "send in the clown."

Listening for the sound of bells,

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts