"And the Oscar Goes to...

Sally Fields for Places in the Heart"

What movie buff could ever forget the 1984 acceptance speech the long-time actress gave as she picked up her Oscar that night.

"You like me, you really, really like me."

The Chaplain serving this weekend at the MARSOC Getaway sent out the following email to the arriving volunteers:

"Greetings from US Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, Camp Lejeune, NC.

As of today our roster is finalized at 100% and our Marine families are VERY excited. The response has been incredible/miraculous- NO SURPRISE given our fervent prayers, planning and God's fidelity!

Thank you for your prayerful preparation and all the extra miles you're traveling to answer our Lord's call.

We are about to see God do amazing temporal and eternal work in the hearts of many. Without breaching clergy confidence, God is allowing us to minister to a truly special bunch of people that are in great need of Christ-centered encouragement, renewal, and refreshing. I've no doubt God has innumerable appointments planned this very week.

I look forwarded to meeting each of you and watching the Lord work with us all. Be forewarned, you're about to catch an infectious case of "glory bumps"!

On mission with you, See you Wednesday. Chaplain D"

I cried.

Again, as usual, and certainly by now you know it comes naturally.

But I cried because I felt like Sally Fields accepting the Oscar that night. "God really, really LIKES me." I know that might seem a bit hard to grasp (like vs. love), but last night I started reading a book by Brennan Manning one of my close friends (and fellow ragamuffins) gave me. It is called "The Wisdom of Tenderness."

After a long day of packing for South Carolina, unpacking boxes, clarifying schedules for Russia (planes, trains, and automobiles) I was having a hard time following his concept. The introduction seemed to have more "big" words than usual. I thought "Perhaps I'm just overloaded and need to stay at the shallow end of the spiritual pool for now." Regardless, I kept reading the introduction:

"Do I wholeheartedly trust that God likes me?... If you answer without hesitation, "Oh yes, God does like me; in fact, He's very fond of me," you're living in the wisdom of accepted tenderness."

In my fatigue, I had to think too hard to "get" the concept. I thought of all the things the Father has allowed me to be a part of; all the faces and places He has shared with me. I mulled it over and thought, "He must like me." When I read the letter from the Chaplain the weight of His glory and tender mercy washed over me like a Tsunami, taking every anxious thought, financial doubt, disorganized worry about my life away. Tender indeed.

Please pray as the Chaplain directed.

Praise the Father who loves us beyond measure and "likes" us no matter what!

No Oscar needed for this smile
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts