Where in the World...

...IS Thessalonica?

That was the question I asked myself this morning (had to check to make sure it was in Greece) as I was reading the apostle Paul's letter to the community of believers.

"Do you have any idea how very homesick we became for you, dear friends? Even though it hadn't been that long ... we tried our very best to get back to see you. You can't imagine how much we missed you! 1 Thessalonians 2:17 The Message

Those words were most appropriate for the start of my day. For the past few weeks, I have been making arrangements with many of the Wounded Warriors and their families for a "special" visit. The scheduled reunion last month was postponed and I realized just how much I missed them! And when I started contacting them, it turns out they miss me too!

"So when we couldn't stand being separated from you any longer..." 1 Thessalonians 3:1 The Message

Paul had to send Timothy to visit his friends, but thanks be to God, we live in a day and age where travel doesn't involve camels or ships that can wreck on the rocks! This morning I'm heading down to San Antonio with Cheryl Hood, the founder of Victory Flows (a respite ministry for families affected by disability). We will spend the next several days sharing with Wounded Warriors who have participated in the Joni and Friends past retreats.

"What would be an adequate thanksgiving to offer God for all the joy we experience before Him because of you?" 1 Thessalonians 3:9 The Message

This past Thanksgiving I feasted with a glue gun, not gravy, tinsel and trimmings not turkey, and plenty of pretties instead of pumpkin pie. With the help of a few friends we made hats, hats and more hats to share with the soldiers and their families! I had the freedom to do so because thousands of faithful men and women enlist in the military to secure my country, and my choices. I am free, feast or famine, because there are people willing to die to defend us.

Hard economic times have greatly impacted the ministry. Every day, I receive appeals of all kinds, from museums to nationally known ministries. Everyone has felt the crunch. And as bad as it is for Sunshine After Rain, I still fully understand and appreciate there are men and women carrying 80lbs worth of gear in 120+ degree heat, in an desert of hatred and animosity just so I can sit in the comfort of my apartment in America and do what the Lord asks me to do. God blesses me AND America through those willing to pay the price.

"May God our Father Himself and our Master Jesus clear the road to you! May the Master pour on the love so it fills your lives and splashes over on everyone around you, just as it does from us to you." 1 Thessalonians 3:11 The Message

Freely smiling in His service
Charlynn


To make a tax deductible donation online, please visit our website:
www.sunshineafterrain.org


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts