Zamzummim


"...but the Ammonites call them Zamzummim, a people great, and many, and tall..." Deuteronomy 2:20-21


A few weeks ago, during my morning Bible study, the name Zamzummim popped up. Just rolling the syllables across my tongue produced a grin. "Zam- Zzummimmmmmmm, what is a Zam-Zzumimmmmmm?" I read on to discover they were enemies of Israel and GIANTS. A worthy foe indeed. They are mentioned in the sermon of Moses to the Israelites as they are preparing to enter the Promised Land. Moses is recounting the faithfulness of God against enemies and circumstantial odds. He is preparing them for the battles ahead and reminding them GOD COMES THROUGH!

"...but Jehovah destroyed them..."

"Zam-Zzumimmmmmm, I need to write about that," I thought to myself - but a tornado and other pressing issues of life interfered with my well thought thoughts. Until now.

"...rise up, take your journey..."

I've been preparing for weeks for the Wounded Warrior Getaway (soldiers never retreat). I called to discuss some of the details with the San Antonio office. During the course of the conversation I asked about one of the warriors. "You need to pray," was the response. It was not what I expected to hear. "The soldier attempted suicide over the weekend and we don't know if they will attend or not."

I was so saddened by this news. I understand hopelessness; to be so far down in despair to be willing to leave everything behind just not to hurt anymore. Perhaps you have been there as well. You have seen "giants" of circumstance occupying you "Promised Land." Whether the difficulties are financial, health issues, relationship crisises, they can overwhelm your confidence and drown you in an ocean of fear. 


The Joni and Friends Getaway, provides a lifeboat for these men and women and their families. It is a place of nurturing faith and strengthening love. These warriors return from battle wounded on the inside and out. They have stood valiantly in the gap for OUR freedom. It is the best thing I do - it is the hardest thing I do.

Pray for our military. Pray for their families who have sacrificed alongside the soldiers. They have given up baseball games and ballet performances so WE can experience the benefits of One Nation Under God. Pray for the wounds and scars of wartime to heal. Pray for the soldier who felt such desperation and ALL the others struggling with depression and post traumatic stress that we don't know about.

Last December when I traveled down to San Antonio to visit with several soldiers and their families, I had the privilege to tour historic Fort Sam Houston with one of the families. This is not a place where just any civilian can visit. It is now part of the Joint Base with the Air Force. The flag of the fort was at half-mast. I asked the soldier about it. He shook his head and said, "They lower it when someone is killed in battle, but the saddest thing is soldiers are dying here (on US soil) everyday! Nobody remembers them."

The staff of Joni and Friends are diligently working to see that we do remember those who have returned. Here at the office of Sunshine After Rain, we are working to provide the "sunshine" of His love after the "rain" and trauma of war.

As you pray, please consider participating financially with the ministry. To make a donation by credit card online, visit our website: www.sunshineafterrain.org.

God bless you, God bless America and the military that protects her!

Popular Posts