Nooks and Crannies

"On both sides of it were written words of lament and mourning and woe." Ezekiel 2:10

I remembered the route well. I shared with my traveling companions the first time I tried to make my way to the "Kotel" (also known as the Western Wall or the Wailing Wall). It was the spring of 1994, and after the tour group arrived at the hotel in Jerusalem I wanted to get to THE wall as soon as possible. The place where the Jews mourn and "wail" over the destruction of the Temple. I had read the background of what is considered to be the most holy site in Jerusalem. It is verifiably the retaining wall built over 3,000 years ago by King Solomon.

I read about the "prayers" stuffed into the crevices of stone and was ready to place my own there as soon as I could. I asked for directions to the Old City and set off with another one of the tour members. We made it to the Old City without any delay, but now where to go? We walked through the labyrinth of the fortified walls, down alleyways and with the approaching darkness soon realized it wasn't as simple as we thought.

We saw the familiar clothing of the religious (long black coat, tall black hat with the signature "curled" sideburns hanging down). He was walking at a fast clip and I turned and said, "Let's follow him, he's religious and probably going to the wall to pray." Trying not to get too close as to appear menacing, we kept pace about 20 yards behind. We weaved in and around the rough hewn stone paths; right then left then right then another right, deeper and deeper into the city of the King. And then...

he turned...

and went up a staircase into his apartment.

NOW WHAT!

We were hopelessly lost in the dark. We had no way of finding our way out. Our map was useless. We not only didn't make it to the Wall, it was now in question whether or not we would make it back to the hotel.

"And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to minister to Him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be His servants...these I will bring to My Holy Mountain and give them joy in My house of prayer." Isaiah 56:6-7

We prayed. We didn't need the "wall" to know that was the only thing we could do. We were strangers in a strange land, but we were the foreigners who set out to minister to the Lord, to be His servants. We claimed every promise we could remember in our state of lost-ness. There were no still waters for Him to lead us to but...

There was a wall.

As we wandered the streets trying to get our bearings (which, by the way was hopeless), another came walking by. "Can you help us get to the wall?" "Do you mean the Kotel?" he replied. "YES!" Another series of rights, lefts and rights and rights and rights and the last left took us to our place of prayer!

Even though it was late, even though it was not a Sabbath or Holy Day, there were plenty of people with their faces pressed up against the ancient cold stones, rocking, crying (wailing), pleading for a response from the God who promised His eyes would always be fixed toward this place.

"The Lord said to him: "I have heard the prayer and the plea you have made before Me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and My heart will always be there." 1 Kings 9:3

Eighteen years later, I had an easier time finding the place. Not much has changed. Security is a bit tighter, checking handbags and backpacks, but other than that it remains - just like it has for thousands of years. A wall, testifying to the indestructible and undeniable promise of the Holy One of Israel.

Back on my first visit, I thought about the prayers. I was thinking I would see ancient papryus crumbled and frayed. I was surprised to see just how much paper people could stuff into the spaces between the massive stones! It was far from old. It probably wasn't even more than a few days worth. I talked with the guide about this. He assured me that all the prayers that "fell out" of the cracks each day were collected, prayed over and placed in a more secure location. There were "keepers" of the prayers, righteous workers, whose task was to gather that which had worked its way out.

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through Him the "Amen" is spoken to us by the glory of God." 2 Corinthians 1:20

I'm still overwhelmed by the visual representation of thousands upon thousands of prayers said AND heard. I know the prayers I placed in the nooks and crannies 18 years ago fell out within the week. But each trip, and each time I made my way back with more tiny slips to stuff in the cracks, I knew the God of Israel was present, and listening and answering; just like today, tomorrow, next week, next month...

Next time I'm in Jerusalem!

"Remember me, Lord, when you show favor to Your people, come to my aid when You save them, that I may enjoy the prosperity of Your chosen ones, that I may share in the joy of Your nation and join Your inheritance in giving praise." Psalm 106:4-5

Thankful to be remembered
Praising and smiling
In His service, bound forever!

Popular Posts