Coca-cola and Comoros

"God pays for each slave's freedom; no one who runs to Him loses out." Psalm 34:22 The Message

The Governor of New York is concerned about the growing waistlines and health of his constituents. His commitment to help find a solution to the problem led to the drafting of legislation to prevent the sale of so-called "super-sized" drinks.

It made the news.

When an American citizen can't get calories in the way, shape and form they want - well, what kind of country are we living in anyway? The people of California can't smoke a cigarette outside AND if proposed legislation passes, they may not be able to smoke INSIDE their OWN home if their residence shares adjacent walls with another property.

And you could hear an uproar as big as the state of Texas, over all the issues (representing both sides) regarding gun control.

You know about Big Gulp, big guns and bad neighbors (those smokers) but do you know about Comoros?
I didn't either.

Comoros, is a nation in Africa on the "restricted" list by Voice of the Martyrs. When my daily "Pray for the Persecuted Church" calendar opened and I saw the country, I had to open the "information" section, to even see what continent it was on. I learned its people are among the poorest in Africa, and having been over 20 times on both coastal regions I have seen their "poor." BUT, I had never even heard of this place where the poorest of the poor live.
There are 770,000 people, but less than 7,000 are Christian. The overwhelming majority are Sunni Muslims. Only non-citizens are permitted to attend the two Catholic churches and one protestant church in the whole COUNTRY.

Who knew?

"Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you." Psalm 34:17 The Message

We live in a "free" country. We are free to voice our opinions on gulps, guns, health care or Honey Boo Boo without fear of reprisals. We can engage in spirited debates on topics reported from CNN and Fox and compare the disparity.

We live in the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave," because for centuries, brave men, women and their families have paid a price for the luxury we forget while sipping 64 ounces of a soft drink!

Personally, I don't care if I can purchase a Big Gulp or a big gun, I'm not going to lobby for either. What I DO care about is the freedom found in Christ and my ability to share the love the Savior.

I'll be working the next few weeks in preparation for the Wounded Warriors Getaway, held in San Antonio, Texas. It is a time of rest and restoration for the soldiers and their families. A time when doctors appointments, paperwork, and past trauma can be set aside for spiritual healing and growth to take root.

The news reports troop withdrawals, winding down or winding up of our military actions and presence on foreign soil, but make no mistake, the "war" continues in many ways for these soldiers and their families. I can report great salvation stories, victories over addictions, marriages restored, reconnections and recommitments to faith that take place during these events. But sadly, there is also suicide, abuse and divorce as well.

"If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, He'll help you catch your breath. Disciples often get into trouble; still, God is there every time." Psalm 34:18-19 The Message

Every trauma, every sadness and every wound cannot be fixed in a few days, but in a few days love that changed the world can be shown and shared FREELY. I praise God for the privilege, and I thank the soldiers I am privileged to know.

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony, I'd like to hold it in my arms and keep it company.

I'd like to see the world for once, all standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
For peace throughout the land.

That's the song I hear, let the world sing today
A song of peace, that echoes on and never goes away." 1971 commerical ad for Coca-cola

Smiling knowing I know
It's the real thing


Participate financially in the ongoing work of Sunshine After Rain Ministries.

NOW, recurring monthly support can be set up through the website:

www.sunshineafterrain.org/monthlydonations.php

One time gifts:

www.sunshineafterrain.org/donations.php

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts