Chuck Norris


...never did an Ironman!"

I've been blessed to see and participate in many "inspiring" things in my life. Without reservation, I can tell you watching the athletes of an Ironman competition is the most sacred experience in a secular environment I've ever had. There are so many spiritual parallels found in the dynamics of the race (the motivation, the spectators, the perseverance, and finally crossing the Finish Line).
It's no surprise the Apostle Paul talks about athletes in his letter to the believers in Corinth (1 Corinthians 9:24), and to his friend Timothy (2 Timothy 4:7) as he felt his time on earth was coming to a close; endurance and competition are part of human nature.

I made multiple posters before I went to support my son at the race. The favorite among the participants concerned Walker, Texas Ranger (Chuck Norris), the ultimate bad a$$. My friend and I positioned ourselves at mile 18 on the marathon course and screamed, cheered, shouted, cajoled, and encouraged the athletes for seven hours (after ten hours spent on other parts of the course)!

"...and before you know it, He brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us." 2 Corinthians 1:5 The Message

Before you get all sympathetic for the notion of me holding up signs in the pouring rain for soooooooo long, let me say, "Chuck Norris never did an Ironman," and neither have I! I was standing (sometimes sitting), I was NOT running. I did not make a 2.4 mile swim starting at 7:00 that morning, followed by a ONE HUNDRED TWELVE mile bike ride, AND THEN run a MARATHON!

"It's a good work you're doing, helping these travelers on their way, hospitality worthy of God Himself!" 3 John 1:5-6 The Message

As athlete after athlete came past us, my friend would ask, "Shouldn't we go and look for Greyson, what if something has happened?" I would reassure her (and myself) my son was going to make it - we were doing our part to see that "other sons and daughters, husband and wives, sisters and brothers," got the "umph" needed to tri-umph and cross the Finish Line.

"If we can only keep our grip on the sure thing we started out with, we're in this with Christ for the long haul." Hebrews 3:13-14 The Message

An Ironman competition is definitely a "long haul," but so to this life of faith. The writer of Hebrews wasn't referring to physical endurance but spiritual perseverance. The faith "Hall of Fame" doesn't mention Chuck Norris, but references men and women who were considered giants in the arena of holy competition, "they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.!"
I wasn't a cheerleader, majorette, flag-girl or mascot in school, I didn't make the cut. Now in ministry, perhaps that's what increases my passion for encouraging others on their journey, whatever it may be; from cancer to PTSD, from abandoned children to abused and discounted women, from the lost in need of salvation to the "found" walking in the fullness of the knowledge of Christ's love, I'm your gal! I probably looked half-crazy as I waved my poster and shouted, "GO! You can make it! You've got this! Chuck Norris never did an Ironman!" (that one always made them smile and keep going just a little bit more).

"When we see that you're just as willing to endure the hard times as to enjoy the good times, we know you're going to make it, no doubt about it." 2 Corinthians 1:7 The Message

It's year-end. The time when all of our mail boxes and in-boxes get filled with requests and petitions for an equally good number of causes and claims. Sunshine After Rain Ministry is entering our 18th year of service to our King. In the coming months we will be undertaking an initiative to serve the Wounded Warrior community and potentially impact thousands (even ten of thousands) of lives. It's going to take more than just your financial support, it's going to take more than just your committed prayer support, it's going to take YOU! It's going to take an "army" to impact military men, women and families.

I'm rallying the troops, I'm holding up a sign, I'm flagging down and waving on, I'm doing whatever it takes to finish the race (and the end of the year) strong. Together we fight the good fight, together we will finish, together we will keep the faith, and faithfully share it with others.

No doubt about it!

Smiling and doing a touchdown kind of dance in His service,
Charlynn (not an Ironman but an IronMom twice)

MAKE A DONATION today by visiting the website: www.sunshineafterrainministries.org
Or by post:
Sunshine After Rain
2610 Lakehill Lane #5A
Carrollton TX 75006














Popular Posts