if not now?

i stand on the shoreline of uncertainty
rolling up my pants
of past pretension
kicking off my shoes
of protective old habits

i stand on the shoreline of opportunity
watching the waves of unpredictability
i run - from their approaching seduction
afraid of drowing
in two inches of fear.

i stand on the shoreline of my past
volumes and echoes of things left unspoken
paths untaken

love lost.

the grit of the sand a reality
discomfort
days behind return to the graveyard
like broken shells tossed casually on the beach
by the rising tide of consequence.

i stand on the shoreline of my future
the cold winter waves shocking my senses
but it's out there, it's coming,
it's rolling toward me and i will not get out of it's way!
the immensity as far as my eye can see

all that i have no way of seeing.

i stand on the shoreline today
i am present
it is now
i take it all in

knowing long ago i have been taught to swim
i dive in!!

Popular Posts