Bumpy in Bombay

We left the hotel early in search of “magic” and other material goods. We had tentatively scheduled an outreach but by the time the trip accounting was done, K and I hounded for every last cent we had for “good luck” as first customers of the gypsy merchants – it was time to head to the airport. Thankfully, A remembered to give me Pastor’s cell phone and his brother’s. The flight was short but Bombay was crowded and no familiar face met me.

Thank God for cell phones – and the kindness of strangers. I had someone call James to tell him of my arrival – they were stuck in traffic – somewhere in the dark. When they finally arrived it became an even greater comedy. Here I had my 120 lbs of luggage (paid for) on a cart rolling from one 1950 taxi to a 1949 taxi, seeing who would take on the luggage and the journey to the International Airport. The young driver who took on the charge loaded the two smaller bags on top and assured me they would not fall off – of course that is because he knew he had practically NO transmission and his cab would only drive 20 miles per hour. Not long on our way a trowtrow honked and honked – all I could think of was my luggage hanging off! Turns out the front door was not shut. Actually, could not shut. Perilous for the passenger indeed! Once as the airport the search for a meal was even more laughable because of the luggage. What were we to do? Unload the luggage – load the luggage and then unload the luggage once more? Finally I convinced my companions to leave me to my own devices – which they did with reluctance.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go!" Joshua 1:9

Popular Posts