Winners and Losers


"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

When my oldest son picked me up from the airport upon my return from Tanzania a mere two weeks ago, aside from the hugs, and typical "I missed yous, glad you're home safes" he asked me if I had been watching the Olympics. "Oh mom, you should have seen the 4x100 meter swimmers relay race, we beat the French!" In his excitement he went on to explain the win was by 8 100ths of a second. I can't even type that fast. "The French lost because at the very end, the French swimmer turned to look to see if he was winning."

The glance away from the goal, cost them the gold medal and history was made again for American team member Michael Phelps.

I saw the repeats of his victory speeches, and the interviews. I noted his humility on the historic precedence of winning eight medals. He replied, "I couldn't have done it without my team members." What is unique about the eight medals is they include the medals that take a TEAM to win! There can be no argument about the athletic superiority and prowess of Phelps, but without the excellence, commitment and PARTICIPATION of his teammates, the eight gold medals would not have been possible.

You might wonder "how" can I be leaving again when I barely unpacked only to repack for another journey halfway across the world. Because I have YOU in the "relay" right along with me. We are in this great adventure of love and faith together. I don't get medals for my part - only air miles, and this year we have logged in another 100,000 for the advancement of the Kingdom.

And for your questions, "aren't you tired, isn't it tough on your body, you are getting older (I will be traveling on my birthday August 31)?" The answer is "YES, YES, YES," and probably yes to many other things you may wonder about. However, when I think of 1.2 BILLION people living in India, many who have NEVER heard the name of our King, there is no way I can say "no".

I don't need to turn my head to see if we are winners in this race, or if the enemy is "hot on our heels" I know he is BUT I know we are "more than conquerors" more than world record setters, more than gold medal finalists. We are called to "run the race with endurance"

"...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured ...consider Him who endured ... so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

Smiling in His service and Diving In,

"So if you'll take my hand we'll close our eyes and count to three,
and take the leap of faith
Come on lets go - I'm diving in I'm going deep in over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The rivers deep the rivers wide
The rivers water is alive
So sink or swim I’m diving in"

Dive: lyrics by Steven Curtis Chapman

Popular Posts