A Funny Thing Happened on the Way...

…to discouragement.

 

Monday’s are seldom pleasant; especially with the Texas triple-digit heat. The weekend’s can be spent relaxing inside an air-conditioned residence or shopping malls, good restaurants, and my favorite summertime way to escape, enjoying a nice (small) cup of Italian Gelato. Monday is the day when you have to “get back to work,” the real world, the papers piling up, the demands of the job, and whatever reality sends your way.

 

I engaged in my ritual morning routine of Bible reading, devotional and meditative thoughts and tried to prepare myself for what the week ahead has in store. Mainly, a 36-hour travel time to the other side of the world. Not a fun thought to be found in that. One of the internet devotionals that came across the reduced screen of my Blackberry was from Facebook:

 

God keeps speaking, "Get Up, Get Out and Get Going! Awake, Assemble and Attack! Awake to righteousness, Assemble with other Christians and Attack the strongholds of the devil! Get Up out of your discouragement and Heaviness! Get Out into the harvest fields and witness for Christ! Get Going to fulfill your God given Destiny! Stand Up, Speak Up and Shout the Victory! God is going to use you in a great way!

 

At the time I wasn’t facing any particular discouragement. In fact, I was in total agreement. I was “Getting up, getting out, and getting going.” I was pretty strong in knowing I was about to attack the strongholds of the devil in Tanzania. Discouraged? Who me? God IS about to use me in a great way.

 

Then came a knock at the door.

 

There stood my apartment maintenance man, carrying a clipboard in hand filled with signatures asking if I had heard the “news.” What news? He handed me the envelope notifying me I have 90 days to vacate my apartment. They are demolishing my sanctuary of 8 years. Not that I didn’t expect it (the property has been bought and sold several times in at least as many years), but with the current economic status and the real estate that surrounds us here on University – well… it was a thought I just put out of my mind.

 

I got discouraged.

And then I was sad.

And then I was worried

And then I was mad!

 

I remember what my grandmother used to say, “You might as well get mad and glad in the same pair of britches,” implying change in conditions was not going to happen. I quickly put things in perspective. The 650 African women God is giving me the opportunity to meet this coming Sunday – Friday have very few of the comforts I enjoy on a daily basis. Yes, it is hot here in Texas but I sit in the relative comfort of my hard-working air-conditioner. When I need a drink, I can pour a glass directly from the tap assured it is clean and FDA approved. When I need to shower, I am not standing with a bucket filled with river water; I am under the overflow of modern convenience. The soap I use comes in a variety of aromas meant more to soothe than to clean.

 

When I do have errands to run, I get in my own car, alone and go wherever I want to. This while enjoying all four of the vents pointed my way and pouring out a cool breeze to comfort me in the sweltering heat. Gas prices may be higher than we typically pay, but in other parts of the world (Africa just one example), gasoline can run as much as $4 a gallon.

 

I sent out a request for prayer, I visited my best friend and I waited for my children to come and enjoy our last “Monday@Mom”s” dinner for a few weeks. I ordered pizza from a new place. Why?

 

As I waited for the delivery, I looked around and thanked God for all He has given me; the haven of comfort and stillness that I have enjoyed when I return home from the field. I KNOW He has something better, but…

 

Then came a knock at the door.

 

I was expecting one of the children, but it was the delivery man a bit early. He peeked inside, and said, “Oh I see you are a collector of art.” A nice way to say, “You have a lot of stuff on your walls.” I laughed and said, “No, I’m a missionary and this is more a collection of my travels than anything of value.”

 

“OHHHHHHH,” he said. “Sister, I knew you were a woman of God the moment I saw you. As I was walking up the stairs, the Spirit told me I was about to meet one of the King’s special people. You know how the Spirit is?” I shook my head as he continued. “Sister, I don’t know what is happening with you, or where you are going off to, but rest assured in this God is with you. He is saying GO! You are favored. His Spirit is shining all over you. What a blessing God has given me by allowing me to be the messenger here today.”

 

A funny thing happened on the way to discouragement.

God showed up with a blessing

And a pretty good pizza!

 

Full and smiling

Charlynn

 

You can still participate with our trip financially by donating online:

www.sunshineafterrain.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular Posts