Lake Wobegon

"And that's all the news this week from Lake Wobegon. Where all the women are strong, men are good looking and the children are above average." Garrison Keillor the Prairie Home Companion
My friend began each of her English speaking classes today with two questions written on the chalkboard. "What is the news this week in China? What about the rest of the world?"

The exercise is meant to assist them in changing their thought process from one language to another. Chatter breaks out as the students partner up and my friend makes the rounds through the classroom reminding them, "English only please."

After a few minutes they are asked to stand and give their answers. It was interesting and informative for the blonde, blue-eyed visitor at the back of the room. I learned the price of cabbage has gone up considerably here, and a fight broke out between the Chinese and the Brazilian basketball players. Noteworthy, but to an outsider not so news worthy.

What about the rest of the world?

Jeeely!

"Jeeely?" My friend responded. And then all the students said the word "rescue." "Oh, Chile. The 33 miners that were rescued after 69 days." Now, THAT IS news.

I have often heard, "All of heaven rejoices when a sinner repents." I can't say I have ever put much thought into the truth, actuality, or how is that REALLY possible until today. I thought it was like the tag line Garrison Keillor closed his "news from Lake Wobegon" with. All the women are strong, the men are good-looking and the children are above average. Angels rejoicing is a nice catchy phrase to end a sermon or after the sixth chorus of "Just as I Am."

But I have followed the news story of the trapped miners, buried beneath tons of earth on three separate continents. I heard it in Russia, in the USA, and now, in a country not so open with world news 20,000 miles away from the mining town where the event is taking place. Thirty-three men "trapped" have held the attention of the world for 69 days. Why did I ever find is difficult to believe, REALLY the rejoicing that occurs in heaven when a person "trapped" in sin is set free? Perhaps my brain and my faith is not so far "above average?"

My visit here at the university is designed to trigger questions that will have faith and spiritual answers. It has happened consistently every year I have come for the past ten years. Today one of the young men stood and asked what I thought was more important, meeting physical needs or spiritual needs?

This is what we have come to refer to as "the open door policy." While there are definitely limits on speaking about Christianity, there are no boundaries on sharing you personal answer about your personal belief. The students were eager to hear and listened attentively to my responses, all which generally began with the phrase, "I am a Christian...," or "as a Christian we follow the Bible...the Bible teaches..." "As a Christian I belief God the creator is good and just..."

The last question of the last class was "You take care of so many people, how do you take care of yourself when you are sad, or lonely, or hurting?"

Once again, probably like all the "strong women" of Lake Wobegon - I began, "I am a Christian...

I pray.

I have friends that pray for me and encourage me.

You out there, in Russia, in Ghana, in Kenya, in Tanzania, in Israel, in India, in China, in Texas (we are a whole 'nother country you know) and all over the good ole US of A, we ARE more than the above average residents of Lake Wobegon. We ARE children of the King. We are more than strong, we are CONQUERORS!

There may not be paparazzi hounding us on the streets, but what we are accomplishing here on earth IS being talked about in the heavenlies! ANGELS are watching us! Sometimes it's said, today's news is tomorrow's bird cage liner. What we do won't be found in tomorrow's trash heap it will be rejoiced over for eternity.

Smiling at the Headlines of service
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts