No News

...is good news?

Our hotel rooms here in Nellore are equipped with brand new high definition flat screen TVs. But since we've arrived they have remained a silent furnishing at the end of the bureau. After all, there are no channels in English and by the end of our day, we collapse in exhaustion and try to sleep through the sounds of traffic and the confusion of time zones. We haven't heard much news.

Okay, I did see the Dallas Cowboys won, but not much else has concerned us - that is until we heard today's latest weather report. Another cyclone is forming off the coast and could be heading directly for us!

While packing for India I watched the movie "Forrest Gump" and I can't help but hear in my mind Forrest say, "Again," (he was referring to meeting yet another President of the United States). I have viewed the classic so often, many of the scripted lines (as well as the distinctive way in which they were uttered) have become part of my own off-handed response to certain situations.

It has been raining here in Nellore for two straight days. Forrest thoughts, "In Vee-et-naaam there are all kinds of rain. There is fat rain, and skinny rain and there is even sideways rain." We've had a bit of all of the above.

We were scheduled to finish our time here in Nellore with a morning program before heading back to Chennai tomorrow. Now, we will be leaving at 8:00am trying to beat the storm.

"But you will not leave in haste or go in flight, for the Lord will go before you; the God of Israel will be your rear guard." Isaiah 52:12

Our part of battle that has been fought over the past few days is coming to an end. But just as the verse in Isaiah reminds us, God is before us (our vanguard) as well as behind us (our rereward)!

My friend sent me the handy Wikipedia definition: "The term rearguard (also rereward) originates from the medieval custom of dividing an army into three battles or wards; Van, Main or Middle and Rear... Rear guard troops can also be troops that protect the withdrawal of an army, blocking the enemy advance."

We have taken back territory from the enemy. We have laid claim in the hearts of widows, orphans, lepers, illiterate villagers, the young and the aged. We have come to proclaim freedom to the captives of 330 million false gods and idols. We are more than conquerors.

"You're my servant, serving on My side. I've picked you. I haven't dropped you. Don't panic I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. Count on it." Isaiah 41:9-10

On the road again!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts