Lean on Me

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest... Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you." Matthew 11:29 The Message

I would say, "It's all over but the shoutin'," but since my voice is barely above a whisper it wouldn't make much sense.

We finished strong here in San Diego, and though we are farmers (in the Harvest fields) who have just completed dutifully planting our crop - we are trusting God to bring forth the fruit of our labor in the days to come.

We connected. We sang and we danced. We laughed and we cried with the families here. We exchanged emails, and promised to stay in touch but the truth is life will "happen." The soldiers will re-deploy, the wives will be left alone to care for the children. The world, the flesh and the devil that is waging war against their soul will return.

But the Word of God remains and does not return to Him without completing the mission He assigned to it. There is something about the soldier's ethics "no man left behind" that you have to figure is even stronger with the Word of the Living God.

After a day of being at a "loss for words," I was concerned I would not be able to share my "story" with the women today during our time of pampering. The rest I took in Him for my voice was enough to get me all the way through. I entitled me testimony appropriately enough, "Finding my Voice."

With my gravely throaty sound adding drama to the tale, by the end all the women tearfully related their pain, their sadness and their connection to my history. I clearly presented the Gospel, and explained each day is an opportunity for redemption. I rejoiced with the voice I had lost that was fit enough to share how to be "found."

We ended the evening with the volunteers singing for the families the Bill Withers classic "Lean on Me." We are not strong alone - but working together as the Body of Christ we can lead the way, shine the light and sway in harmony to the "unforced rhythms of grace" the Master has taught us.

With a whisper
And a prayer
and of course a big smile!
In His service

Popular Posts