Broken

"Who knows? Maybe you were made queen for such a time as this.." Esther 4:14

Each time I look at I (the youngest member of our group) my eyes tear up as I remember her call to me regarding the subject matter she would teach on. She said, "Really, I have never taught, I'm a young believer, I'm happy just to be your assistant, I'll carry things, just to be going is an honor."

I laughed, and encouraged her, "I, you have something to share with these women. God has prepared you for this, God will use you. You will see how big the God you love so much is, in Africa!"

With hesitation, she agreed to work on a subject. She sent me her testimony, that of a broken life restored and redeemed. I knew, combined with her youth, she would be a great witness to the glory of God. God was right in a big way!

The time came for her presentation "Forgiving Yourself". She chose to come into the chapel covered in ashes (representative of her past sinful life) wailing and crying out, she walked among the women. They were moved visibly. After she shared her testimony of Christ's mercy and love - she dramatically washed the ashes off.

We allowed time for questions and testimony. The women stood giving thanks, praising God for her courage and her youth to teach them. To show them true repentance by kneeling. It made the most impact among the women. They stood and gave lengthy testimony. The oldest among them (76 yrs) cried saying "You a young girl, knelt before us to show us how to repent and forgive."

The daughter of the oldest women approached us when we broke for tea. She wept openly, and with perfect English said, "Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord."

"...put Thou my tears in a bottle: are they not in thy book?" Psalm 56:8

Through her tears and thanks JA and I wondered how we could minister to her brokenness. We had ears to hear and a heart to listen.

The vulnerability of I, her desire to be broken before these African women, opened all of their hearts. They spoke of a new willingness to repent, to feel forgive, to begin to learn to forgive themselves.

"But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering ..." 2 Timothy 4:5-6

Popular Posts