Far Enough Away

"You know the whole sky lights up from a flash of lightning? That's how it will be on the Day of the Son of Man" Luke 17:24 The Message

The sirens have temporarily stopped, but continuous weather coverage is still being aired. For the last two hours the television has been showing live coverage of a tornado on the ground just south of Dallas in Lancaster, Texas. The weatherman remained calm in his reporting even though the video showed semi-tractor trailers flying through the air like leaves on an autumn breeze. His voiced never wavered making sure to alert any viewers in the immediate path of the storm to take cover.

Honestly, it was surreal. It was like watching modern day footage of the Wizard of Oz. I wanted to scream for Auntie Em and keep a firm grip on my imaginary Toto, but instead I just prayed. The images of Joplin and the 54 seconds that changed their lives is all too fresh in my mind.

The sirens have started again, my door is open, but outside my house it is not even raining. The storm is "just far enough" away not to be affecting me.

This Sunday believers around the world will be celebrating the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior. But four BILLION people are "just far enough away" not to realize the approaching danger. I'm not talking tornados, doomsday dread, freak-enomic meltdowns or political upheavals. I'm talking about what is sure to affect everyone ever born - DEATH.

"Death swallowed by triumphant Life! Who got the last word, oh Death? Oh, Death, who's afraid of you now?" 1 Corinthians 15:55 The Message

The only protection we have is the shed blood of the Lamb. We all have friends, neighbors, loved ones who are in the direct path of separation from God for eternity. Whether they have ignored the "sirens" of repentance or claimed not to want any part of the church because it is filled with hypocrites - make no mistake, one day their will be no where to run and no "storm shelter" of excuses will protect them.

I tried to place a phone call to my children to make sure they are safe and not on the roads driving. I wanted them to be sure to be watching and prepared.

The call failed.

I know the witness of my life, and the love of my Savor never will.

Easter is not about eggs
It is not about baskets
It is not about rabbits or baby chicks

Don't let your celebration be "just far enough away" no one recognizes the danger.

Watching the weather and praying

Popular Posts