MON -Day 7) A Bumpy Ride

"Fasten your seat belts boys, it's going to be a very bumpy ride." Bette Davis

When those famous and often quoted words were spoken it had nothing to do with India. In fact it didn't even have anything to do with roads. It was said in regards to the emotional roller coaster the listeners were about to embark on.

The roads of India ARE bumpy. They are hazardous. However, seat belts are seldom available but prayer always is! Being in the Harvest fields is also the kind of emotional roller coaster the actress referred to. Prayer provides the seat belts for our hearts. The Word provides the "handles" for us to hang on to. And like any good ride, screaming occasional occurs. Like when a commotion broke out on the train that could have been ANYTHING - but turned out to be a hot cup of tea spilled on a passenger. I also screamed when I saw a "National Geographic" sized insect crawling up the wall of the restaurant at breakfast. There was screaming in the middle of the night while we were in Silonijin when a neighborhood card game got out of control.

And there were the screams of joy when the children were playing games of hot potato and dancing the Hokey Pokey.

This morning was our last. With all the packing accomplished the night before we took time to share our thoughts and pray for the seeds planted to reap a Harvest, some ten fold, some a thousand fold. We praise God for allowing us to contribute in some small way to the advancement of the Kingdom to come.

As I reflect on my days here, the difficulties and the delights, I am reminded of His Words:

"Where your treasure is there your heart will be also."

I always thought of this verse in terms of my treasure being fixed in the realm of the heavenlies; on things eternal. These last few weeks I have expanded my vision and the location of my treasure.

I now see the geography as:

with the lepers

with the naked

with the hungry

with those who know real thirst

with those who are asking for God's mercy

with village evangelists and pastors who are not asking us to pray for buildings or even provision, but for more boldness and strength to share the Word when they are persecuted

with the children of tea workers and stone pickers who will never learn to read or write

with the faithful believers who will never own a Bible

with the orphans who have yet to be taken in to a home and are exploited by the evil

with the Hindus who live in a culture held in bondage to 330 million gods

with the Muslims who believe a reward awaits them in holy jihad and claim innocent victims

with the millions who live "across the river" evangelists will never reach

with a little thatch church on a hilltop in India that shines its light brighter than any I have ever seen in America

with our "church" that has neglected the plight of the lost and failed to fulfill the Great Commission

with our nation that has been given much, and will answer to the Living God for satiating appetites and desires

A few weeks ago, my oldest son traveled on business to Bangladesh. We were only a few geographic hours north on this trip to Assam. Before he went on his trip he asked if he should plan to travel to any other area in the region. I explained it is a tough place for the "uninitiated" traveler. I said, "You should have a really good reason to go." He called me when he arrived using Skpye technology and said, "This is the most god-forsaken place I have ever seen. I have a whole new appreciation for what you do. But tell me how do you do it?"

I replied, "I have a really good reason to go."

Now I understand, it is because it is where a good-sized part of my heart is.

Leaving with a chest full of treasure!
Charlynn in flight
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts