You Can Call Me Gershom

No matter what country I find myself in, young and old have a hard time pronouncing my name. This includes the United States of America, and dates far back to childhood. It used to really disturb me. Now, at 51 I accept that it is what it is. But, it has served me well in ministry teaching the meaning and value in "names."

Just before I left for Mexico I began reading Exodus. Moses named his first born son Gershom. It means "I am a stranger and a sojourner in a strange land;" which is why I wish I knew the female version (should there be one) of the Hebrew name. (Perhaps Gershomee?)

I am frequently a "stranger (strange at the very least) and sojourner in some very strange (and unfamiliar) lands. And while there is much that we find familiar here (laughter, chicken dance shennaigans, and guacamole) there are many very different, unique and beautiful things about this culture.

In the three days we have been ministering in various neighborhoods of San Cristobal, we have seen over 400 children and adults. Tomorrow we set off to a village two hours away by car. We have no idea what to expect.

"Let us go somewhere else - to the nearby villages, so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." Mark 1:38

The words of Christ echo in our hearts. It is the same reason we came, to share the Good News in nearby (and some not so nearby)villages.

"After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God. The Twelve were with Him." Luke 8:1

The Dallas News today carried an article on how many mission trips to Mexico have been cancelled due to the border and drug cartel violence.

"Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack or harm you, because I have many people in this city." Acts 18:9-10

We are looking forward to meeting many of "His people."

Strange, sojourner smiling,
Smiling strange, sojourning
Still




Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts