His Story Lessons

"Then I said, "Here I am I have come - it is written about me in the scroll." Psalm 40:7

MY STORY 

There are many scriptures that teach us "all our days are known" by the Lord before we are even born. He is called "the author and perfecter" of our faith and our lives. But during the mundane passing of days it's hard to imagine that "stuff" is recorded or remarkable. And yet..

"Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored His Name." Malachi 3:16

His Word, is our proof. Days are remembered and serve a purpose even if we don't quite see the whole picture of how our personal story is making a difference. There are only a few days before I leave for Israel and in preparation, I decided to go back and look at the journals I had written when I took my first trips there beginning in 1995. 

I have a good memory, but after seventeen years, I knew I could use a refreshment on how visiting the Holy Land impacted my spiritual life, as well as giving birth to Sunshine After Rain Ministries. 

In case you've never heard, I'll share briefly of the humble beginnings:

I responded to a radio ad on a local Christian station for Zola Levitt Ministries (a Messianic Jewish outreach and television show). Even though I didn't need a job, I went to their offices explaining that I was just following the prompting of the Spirit. I thought perhaps this would be the way the Lord would use me; to have me write for their monthly Newsletter or ...

What resulted was not writing for the newsletter, but writing lyrics for the television broadcast, which lead to being commissioned for a book of poetry and prose on a pilgrim's first impression of the Holy Land. I was not an overnight success story, and though I used only one sentence to chronicle the path - it took place over several years. 

THE HISTORY 

That first trip in April of 1995, was an over-the-top experience and "how is this happening to me" moment. When I was invited I immediately thought of King David pouring out the water from Bethlehem as something too great to accept. I went to the scripture regarding it (2 Samuel 23) and prayerfully asked the Lord to show me if I was to refuse the invitation. I read verse 4 (NASB) "A morning without clouds, when the tender grass springs out of the earth, through sunshine after rain..."

Those lines resonated with my very soul. I went on and read the study notes explaining why David poured out the water and knew it was appropriate and acceptable for me to take the generous offer. I wasn't sure how I would accomplish the "commission" of writing about Israel. I nervously asked Zola what would happen if "nothing came to me," while I was there. He just laughed and said, "Charlynn, the Lord has never let you down. Do you really think you're going to get all the way there and He won't show up?" 

Inspiration came in a fury I have yet to experience again. I wrote on scraps of paper, napkins and whatever else I could find, when the words of the Spirit struck me (why I didn't just carry a pad I'm not sure). Zola published the book (Sunshine After Rain Poetry and Prose: A Pilgrim's first impression of the Holy Land) and presented it to pilgrims traveling on their tour for years. I returned to Israel with Zola's group serving as Praise and Worship leader several times. I continually put myself "out there," doing things (speaking in front of large crowds) knowing and trusting God's plan for my life. After my fourth trip, I felt the "calling" to be in full-time ministry, but had no idea how the Lord would accomplish such an insurmountable task. I was a single parent of three children, I needed an income, I needed help!

Then I lost my job. 

I asked a friend to please pray for the Lord to give me guidance and direction. I asked for clarity on what this "ministry" was to be and I asked her to pray I would find joy. I was a "serious" person and parent. Anyone who is a parent (or single parent) knows it is a series of serious tasks: get up, get the kids up, make breakfast, make lunches, get them off to school, go to work, get off work, pick up from daycare, make dinner, help with homework, get them to bed, collapse, and start all over again. 

Shortly after, I was offered the opportunity to write for the television show which would cover the income portion of my problem, but...

Over Christmas, my friend must have really been storming the Throne Room, because just after the New Year, I had my answer about the ministry, as well as finding my joy. I was to ask my friend how to be a clown! I had never had a conversation about HER ministry, much less picture myself in any way involved with it. And yet, it was liberating all the same. Because I KNEW I would have never had THAT thought. She was thrilled. I went to Clown School and began doing performances with the clown troop at our church. I even decided I would take my clown outfit on the next tour to Israel - just in case!

I wrote (NOT emailed) a former member of Zola's tour, and asked if I could visit the Christian school she was teaching at in Jerusalem. She responded (NOT by text) they were delighted to have a special guest come for the children. After the performance I knew THIS was the ministry, the "Sunshine After Rain" I had read about (and wrote about), and surely "He would indeed make it grow." (2 Samuel 23:5)

HIS STORY

"You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone." 2 Corinthians 3:2-3

Each one of us serves as the "letter" of our King to His people. We communicate the joy, the faithfulness, the mercy, grace and love He has poured into our lives. That story is often times messy, frequently boring (thank you for making it this far) but always a part of the bigger singing of the salvation song. 

In 2012, we have to think about what will happen to our "virtual" self when we die. The government has suggested we appoint an executor to determine what to do with our Facebook page, blogs, photos we have uploaded and all the other aspects of social media we are involved in! It's funny so many people consider THAT (what will happen to my internet self), without considering where their eternal self (soul) will be while someone is shutting down their MySpace. What we say and do really does and can live on and on and on...

My story, history, His Story 

Fifteen years of full-time ministry has taught me so much. Returning to Israel after an eight year absence has me excited to learn even greater things for the ministry. The mother and daughter team I will be connecting with are long-time friends from Joni and Friends Family Retreats. We are connecting with the Hadassah Hospital, several Deaf-Blind organizations, orphanages and Messianic ministry outreaches in the Land. We will also be celebrating Shavuot (Pentecost) in Jerusalem! Christians remember this as the time when the Holy Spirit fell among the crowds as "tongues of fire" and 3000 people were added to the "Church." (Acts 2)

There is the short (or not so short) story of my past, my present, and my future. My times are in His hands, "my heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the King: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer." Psalm 45:1

Pray for our time in the Land
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem!

Pen in hand, smiling still

To participate financially visit our website: www.sunshineafterrain.org 


THE VIEW

I have stood upon the mountain
Took a good long look around
Drank the view until I had my fill
Felt the Spirit falling down

Walked among the thorns and branches
Fallen leaves from ancient trees
Heard the whisper of Your majesty
Brush my face within the breeze

Speak to me Lord
I’m listening
Flood with joy, and fill my soul
Let me linger in Your presence

Renew my heart, 
and make me whole.

Popular Posts