Ancient History

"This is the only race worth running. I've run hard right to the finish, believed all the way." 2 Timothy 4:7 The Message

I'm making encouragement posters today. My goal is to hold them up around mile 22 (the breaking point in a marathon) of my oldest son's Ironman competition this weekend. It's my creative nature kicking in to come up with ways not only to say, "Hang in there" but also ways to say "I believe in you and above all I love you."

I started doing a bit of investigating of this whole competition he has signed up for (Ironman: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho June 24, 2012). It consists of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a marathon run (26.2 miles), raced in that order AND without a break.

The Apostle Paul, in writing to the Corinthians says, "You've all been to the stadium and seen athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard." 2 Corinthians 9:24 The Message

I checked out the notes on this passage. It seems Paul was referring to the Isthmian games run in Corinth. Wait a minute, Isma-what? I stopped, checked Wikipedia, and discovered they were part of the Greek Olympiad of games. And then I thought about THAT. People were watching athletic performances over 700 YEARS BEFORE Jesus was born! To see the trained ability of others has been, and continues to be entertaining.

When I left Israel two weeks ago, I parted with a feeling of history. History that changes and history that remains unchanging. In the comfort of my 21st century home, I have several different translations of the Bible, I can access the internet or listen to sermons from around the world to enhance my studies. But within that environment, as I read of the ancient Kings of Israel, of Jesus interacting with His followers, in my mind I am picturing a pasture not a metropolis. I still have that "Good Shepherd" painting in my head, of Jesus by the still waters and nothing else around. But after being surrounded by the ancient walls of the city He will reign over for a thousand years - I had to change that picture. Jerusalem, during the first century is estimated to have had roughly 600,000 people! Hardly a quiet and serene place.

Jesus knew about competition. Jesus came to earth to win the greatest battle! Jesus was and is the ultimate extreme athlete! He chose to enter the race.

"Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how He did it. Because He never lost sight of where He was headed - that exhilarating finish with God." Hebrews 12:2 The Message

The passage in Hebrews tells us we are SURROUNDED by a great cloud of witnesses. I think it is better translated today as cheerleaders. I know every day, they are busy making "signs" of encouragement to help us "finish the race" set before us. The Holy Spirit dwelling in the heart of every believer is prompting emails, phone calls, letters, Facebook posts, texts and Tweets, as well as a host of other ways we can be an encouragement to each other. Not to mention the hosts in the heavenly realms that watch over our days.

And while you may think YOUR small effort doesn't make THAT much difference, I can say after standing along the route of many races cheering on COMPLETE STRANGERS, they turn a sweating brow and say, "Thank you, I needed that."

We all need it.

"When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility He plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! Hebrews 12:3 The Message

Send an email
Write a letter
Make a phone call
Facebook that friend
Text
Tweet
Make a poster

"...all that's left now is the shouting - God's applause! 2 Timothy 4:8 The Message

Pacing myself
Smiling
In His service as a witness

PLEASE visit the Facebook Page and leave an encouraging message. Click LIKE (Race updates and photos will be posted throughout as well as a live feed during the competition)

www.facebook.com/ForThoseWhoCant



Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts