153 Fish

"...153 big fish! Even with all those fish, the net didn't rip." John 21:11 The Message

A few days ago while reading my morning devotion, I saw the passage in John 21 with a fresh perspective. The Disciple (John) actually noted the number of BIG fish caught after the weary fisherman listened to a man calling out from the shore, "let the nets down on the right side of the boat."

Details!

The last few hours of the year are ticking down and I could provide you with 153 details to "give" to the ministry of Sunshine After Rain. But with schedules, business, and last minute whatevers, you probably wouldn't make it to number (?)! I'll provide the only reason I'm still in this "going forth to make disciples" business after 18 years: Jesus.

Eloquence and evidence, reports and resumes, presentations and pleas all aside, He truly is the only reason for the Season and life itself.

"I was unsure of how to go about this, and felt totally inadequate- I was scared to death, if you want the truth of it- and so nothing I said could have impressed you or anyone else. BUT the Message came through anyway." 1 Corinthians 2:3-4 The Message

I've recently shared this is the longest I've been stateside in 27 YEARS! The geography of ministry is not as relevant as obedience to the call to ministry. On December 23, I completed 365 consecutive days of composing 5* reasons a day for one Marine to stay alive. Last December while hospitalized for issues related to PTSD he asked me to give him 5 reasons a day to be on this earth. I committed - and just before the 365th day rolled around I thought, "so THAT's why (or one very good reason) I haven't left the country. Throughout the past year the list of recipients has grown to over 50+ (not counting the ones they pass it on to). Here is the last day of 2014's:

5 for Seeing
1. His LIGHT shines in my darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it (John 1:4-5)
2. His LIGHT shines in the valleys of my life (Isaiah 9:2)
3. I will SEE Him in the flesh (Job 19:27)
4. I will see His face and CARRY HIS NAME (Revelation 22:4)
5. He is showing me GREAT and WONDERFUL things (Jeremiah 33:3)

I don't know what your personal or private circumstances are on this last day of the year. I don't know if you need five reasons to find your joy, or five reasons not to give up. You may be with much, or with little. You may be in good health, or down with an illness, passing or permanent. You may be with friends or alone. You may be full of energy or downright exhausted. I don't know, but I do care. I'd like to pray with you, and share with you. Somehow you made it on to this "list" and I count you as my community.

After the resurrection, when the Disciples had already encountered the Master, they were probably overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do "next." Leave it to the impulsive Peter to make a leap:
"Simon Peter announced, "I'm going fishing. The rest of them replied, "We're going with you." John 21:3 The Message

All the things that have happened in our world this past year may be too much to take in presently.

All the circumstances that have grieved you, caused anxiety or pain may be too numerous to recount.

I'm going to keep doing the "next" thing He calls me to do, and I pray you'll come along, through prayer, financial support, personal connections, or some other creative way of "fishing" in the Sea of His grace.

One of my favorite passages in The Word is found at the close of the Old Testament:

"Then those whose lives honored God got together and talked it over. God saw what they were doing and listened in. A book was opened in God's presence and minutes were taken of the meeting, with the names of the God-fearers written down, all the names of those who honored God's name." Malachi 3:16 The Message

He's listening AND He's keeping an eternal record!

Let's talk,

Let's set out to Sea to see what we can SEE!
Waiting for the BIG Haul (153 at least)


To make a donation by credit card or to set up recurring monthly donations for 2015 visit our website: www.sunshineafterrain.org
Or by post:
Sunshine After Rain Ministries
2610 Lakehill Lane Unit 5A
Carrollton, TX 75006

Gifts postmarked on December 31 count as deductions in that calendar year

*If you would like to receive the Daily "5's" send me an email or text (214-679-5948) and how you would prefer to get them (email or text)
To see the past year's posts visit www.logansfive.blogspot.com

















Popular Posts