Into the Long Dark Night

I knew the flight would be a full load just by looking around the waiting area. First to Hong Kong, then to Singapore, then to all parts East - although, we technically are flying West. Not a seat was open and I was thankful somewhat to have staked my claim with a window seat.

But...

with the narrow negotiating room, plus the young man in front of me was set on his seat to incline as far back as possible for as long as possible! It was going to be a long long flight.

Loaded on the plane and awaiting our 1:30 am (PST) take off soon took on new calls for patience. The captain announced a technical malfunction and we would leave as soon as...

2 1/2 hours late (5:30 am CST) we left. I felt like I had someone laying in my lap the whole time with my strange incliner restlessly negotiating his chair, his pillow, his blanket - every time he did the motion would bang against my legs, rouse me from my drug-induced semi-rest and result in a general disagreeableness on my part.

My heart was humbled and reminded of my grumbling discomfort over a 24 hour inconvenience. When the people and children I am on the way to see are in a constant state of survival, discomfort, hunger, inconvenience, but above all that - very little "hope".

I know I will get off this plane, eventually. I'll stretch my legs, take a shower, have a hot meal and be on about the Father's business - the same can not be said for those I am serve.

"... pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience" Colossians 1:10-11

Popular Posts