Keeping up Appearances

"Hello, Mrs. Bucket..." "Its Boo-Kay, like the French..." from the BBC Comedy show Keeping up Appearances


Because this will be my son's first experience in ministry, I caught myself praying for the reputation and character of God to be faithfully represented by the believers serving at the retreat. He brings baggage from childhood on who "Christians" say they are and who they act like. I want the REAL Christ-followers to influence him and dispel his notions of who "they" are and find out who God is. As I was praying for my son's life to be changed, recognizing the baggage he will arrive at the retreat with, I realized ALL of us carry a piece (or two) of luggage around that holds what we think of God, and who we think He is. The families may have a suitcase full of disappointment. God did not "keep up appearances" of being a God who protects. Bags soaked with the tears of an uncertain future - facing doubt that God has a plan and a purpose, and that He works all things together for the good.

Well-meaning servants may offer up these scriptural platitudes - just as Mrs. Bucket repronounces her name for callers and guests. We want others to know our God IS good, in spite of circumstantial appearances: loss of limbs, traumatic brain injuries, post traumatic stress, suicidal thoughts, blasts and burns. But it takes more to communicate the character of the Living God than a few memorized verses when the tragedy of others confronts us.

How we LIVE, communicates more than what we say.

On the last night of His life, Jesus gave His disciples an example for living in the days ahead. They were to become servants of others, humbly bowing to the lowliest task needing to be done.

Followers of Christ strive hard to "keep up appearances" for God's sake. We forget He doesn't ask us to become a successful marketing team, winning the lost by the way WE look and sound or the brand of "suitcase" we carry. His thoughts are so much higher than our thoughts, His ways are so much higher than we can begin to imagine.

The next few days, my prayer is to travel light; to give my burdens (and fears) over the appearances of others to the King I serve, and to free my hands, feet, back (and heart) of my personal baggage. This will enable me to be free to carry the load of others; to pick up what THEY are carrying and make the journey towards home easier - if only for a few days.

"Carry each other's burden and thus fulfill the law of Christ" Gal 6:2

Gladly acting and smiling as Mrs. Bucket Baggage Handler in His service!

Popular Posts