Vonnegut

I loved Kurt Vonnegut.

I haven't read anything he wrote later than 1985 but everything before, I devoured. From "Slaughterhouse Five" to "Breakfast of Champions" and all the novels and short stories in between, fascinated me. There was something about "the voice" he wrote in, or perhaps it was merely the odd quirkiness of his characters (misunderstood weirdos) that resonated with me at the time. But now, I am often reminded of one of his short stories. PBS produced it as a drama starring Christopher Walken and Susan Sarandon entitled "Who am I This Time?"

In the story, two small town extremely shy and unnoticed residents reluctantly audition for the local theatre production. Strangely, (perhaps due to their lack of personality) they are able to embody the characters of whatever particular drama they portray. The towns folk are so captured by their acting they begin to stage productions simply to see the performance. When the show closes they return to their unassuming lives, void of any sign of the outgoing thespians. The story ends with the characters being approached to star in yet another local rendition of a theatre classic. They turn to one another and say, "Who am I this time?"

"I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life." 1 Corinthians 9:22 The Message

I find myself in various cultures all around the world. I wake up in countries as diverse in climate as they are in conditions. One month I am in Africa, the next month Russia or China, and in the course of a year often twice in India. The food whether too spicy or too strange is at least sustaining. The people I mingle with generally don't look at all like the light-skinned fair-haired girl that I am. And the weather, well, I never can be sure of. Of all the climates, conditions and cultures I encounter perhaps the one I connect deepest with, as well as find the most difficult - are the soldiers.

Every homecoming I enjoy and look forward to is a return from the spiritual battlefield. One where souls are fought for and victory claimed. It is also where I see how the sin of humanity wounds and kills the spirit of the lost.

I still don't understand the great mysteries of God; how He uses costumes, silly hats, feather boas, and a Tina Turner wig to bring joy to the hearts of broken men and women. I don't understand the foolishness and I get anxious about "what if I'm not that funny this time."

Wednesday, I leave for the sixth Warrior Getaway in San Antonio. It is a "full-house," ministering to the more families than ever before! I returned late Saturday night from China, and unpacked one bag while packing another. I will take several of my "personas" to provide "the best medicine" for the weary and wounded.

I eat more than the "Breakfast of Champions." I feed on the Word of the Living God that nourishes and strengthens me for yet another battle. "I am all things..." All characters, the fool of all fools, so that some perhaps might be saved.

"I don't know about you, but I'm running hard to the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got." 1 Corinthians 9:26 The Message

"Who am I this time?"

I'll be the one smiling, still serving, and still looking toward the goal of the upward high calling!

Popular Posts