Forecast


I sat at the allegorical poker table of decision last week and pushed the chips into the center declaring, "I'm all in." You responded with quick affirmation and reassurance that I held the winning hand of obedience. I was ready, willing and able to "GO." But with the commitment of "letting the chips fall where they may," I knew I was just as willing to stay and remain in a holding pattern.

"I ask Him to clear the way for me to come and see you. The longer this waiting goes on, the deeper the ache." Romans 1:12 The Message

The Director of Children and Orphan Ministry at East West International, after much prayer, determined this was not the time to make the trip. Instead of packing my bags today for India I am listening to the weekend weather forecast. "Cloudy, with a 60% chance of rain."

Incliment weather isn't that big of a deal in the good ole US of A, we can generally stay indoors and dry. In fact, here in Texas, where we are suffering extreme drought conditions, rain coming sounds like a blessing. But when the orphanage directors we were scheduled to visit asked for children's rain coats, I confess I was confused at the request of what seemed to me a luxury item. Then, in a later email they explained it is about to be Monsoon season. The reality of WALKING in torrential rain to school and back humbled me. My reality of day-to-day survival in the Third World oftens escapes me even though I have experienced it first-hand.

I'm okay not understanding the BIG picture of "why" I am here expecting a gentle spring rain, when there are orphans in India facing the monsoons unprotected. The last few days I have felt the extraordinary and powerful force of our Creator.

As I was praying on how best to communicate what happened to my India trip and the decision not to go, I felt like a surfer. Here I am sitting on a surf board of faith, in the ocean of wonderment and awe at His favor. I have been paddling patiently watching for the wave He would have me catch.
I sat down and picked up my trusted devotional "My Utmost for His Highest." I laughed out loud! March 7th's reading:

"We are super-victors with a joy that comes from experiencing the very things which LOOK as if they are going to OVERWHELM us. Huge waves that would frighten an ordinary swimmer produce a tremendous thrill for the surfer who has ridden them." (Emphasis mine)

Thank you for your faithfulness, your enthusiasm, your cheerleading and commitment! Please continue to pray for the ministry as we watch and listen, and do the NEXT thing at hand.

Hanging Ten with the King
Smiling and still watching for the wave of His choosing,

Popular Posts