Sufficient Unto the Day


"...is the evil thereof." Matthew 6:34

It's time for bed here in Handeni, after a very long day of driving which followed 24 hours of flying! I've managed to wash the grit and grime down the drain with a handy bucket full of lukewarm water, a sponge and a bar of mosquito repellent soap I am praying does the trick. But before I set off for lullaby land, I thought I'd better read the morning devotional that proved to be timely.

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow, God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." The Message

I think I prefer Eugene Peterson's translation of the verse over the "evil thereof" in King James. Looking at a suitcase full of snacks for the "what if... " The evil makes me feel a bit on the humiliated side for giving granola bars air miles.

We (Americans) are so entirely different in so very many ways. We DO take thought of our lives! We DO worry about tomorrow's meals and showers and beds and comfort. We DO set our alarms and when we are told to show up at half-past the hour we are there - even early, even though the person we are meeting may arrive shortly after a time, and twice a time or... plain ole late!

In the past, the preparations and endless questions before our arrival have paid off. I recall being ashamed hauling 5 pounds of granola to Russia, only to wind up serving it three meals a day to my companion and our two interpreters for a week! When we were in Zanzibar in 2011 our snack packing paid off in spades because it was during Ramadan and our hotel was not serving ANY food.

But tonight, I'm wondering if something gets lost between King James and Queen Charlynn? I have responsibilities, a teammate and people counting on hearing a Word fitly spoken during the next two weeks, I NEED my "stuff." I'm not ready to go all "Corrie ten Boom" showing up in a country with NO contact, NO money and NO idea where she was to go - but...

I'm going to sleep. I'm not going to worry about the 125 women we will meet tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about what I will eat that may be some combination mystery meat. I'm not going to worry about what I am wearing and how hot I will get in this African sun. I'm not, really, I'm not.

Why? (Aside from the bed piled high with plenty of "what if stuff) Because:

"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers - most of which are never seen- don't I think He'll attend to ME, take pride in ME, do His best for ME?"

Plus I know you're halfway across the world praying for me to relax!

Of course I'm smiling


Don't miss the opportunity to bless your brothers and sisters in Tanzania by participating with the ministry financially.

To donate online, visit our website: www.sunshineafterrain.org

Popular Posts