Inheritance

“Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth..” Matt 5:5

My future inheritance has nothing to do with an impending death. It has to do with a death that occurred almost two thousand years ago; guaranteeing my future and adoption for eternity. Life sure would be easier (at least by the world’s standards) if I already had my treasures, a big bank account and lacking nothing materially. Alas, God’s economical perspective is not mine.

As I “go” and return, and “go” – I try and remind myself, in His accounting of things, I am an international investor. But as He reminds us, where our heart is our treasure is also. My heart is with the orphans of the world, with the disenfranchised, the displaced and the disabled. There is much to be romanticized about the “adventure”, distant lands and iconic landmarks most never see in a lifetime. But the “theory” of the adventurous journeys carry the weight and responsibility of the rest of the picture and “God Story”.



I have seen the Red Square and the Kremlin, but also thousands of Russian orphans hidden in remote and rural institutions, constructed by an ideology void of God and, since its collapse, holding no future. I have walked atop the Great Wall in China and entered the once Forbidden City, but I have also seen hundreds of girls abandoned to a life of hopelessness, because in a society with policy, male children are seen as the only way future aging parents will have provision. As for those born with a disability, most are virtually discarded and devalued for life. I saw the snows of Kilimanjaro, but also the street children who forage among trash heaps for food.

I feel my responsibility is to share the beauty IN the ashes, as well as carrying the hope and truth the God I love and serve, gives beauty FOR ashes.

We press on in our journey. Our teammates are on their way back to the US, to comfort, family and familiar food. As for us, fighting the good fight of faith, as “career officers”, we carry on, to the upward high calling.

This trip to India, we will analyze the “battlefield”, develop “field strategies”, determine how many “battalions” of willing soldiers we will need to enlist to conquer the land! In a nation with over 300 million gods, the “war” seems hopeless. I pray in the coming days, we take our cue from a wise Israeli King (Jehoshaphat) who went before His Lord and said, “the army is too vast for us to conquer, but oh Lord are eyes are fixed on you.”

Popular Posts