T.I.N.A.

"T.I.N.A." is the acronym used away from home when faced with the unusual or strange. It is meant to secretly jostle (and quiet) one another, "This Is Not America." Often quoted, is the culture sensitivity reminder, "it's not bad, it's just different."

It's Friday morning here, and the University Hotel dining room was filled to capacity. Professors, conference attendees and a variety of other official looking people clamored around, with plates and chopsticks, dishing up breakfast. Can you imagine what they serve for breakfast? Chinese food of course! T.I.N.A. indeed.

This year I came prepared. Knowing the fare each day would be virtually the same (noodles, rice, ginger cabbage, steamed cauliflower, strange hot items I am too scared to try, and other hot liquids that are probably very healthy but... well different.) A good dose of protein is needed for a day filled with performances, exposure to the weather and the floating bacteria in the atmosphere. I added a new item to my list of "must have for travel" food bags. I have defeated the dreary common boiled egg by bringing packets of mayonnaise and mustard.

There I sit, alone, strange and VERY American, with cracked eggs and packets my fellow diners are curious about - to stir up "deviled" delights. Okay, so it is day three and I have had my fill of them. Tomorrow I may move to add PB&J to spice up my morning delicacies.

No, this is NOT America.

I cannot imagine University students being entertained by a "clown". Much less after a performance more suited to those under 13, to ask provocative life-challenging questions. A question asked last night during the Bible study (for the students) was "what I have learned" from my travels. I gave a lengthy response, but the core of the answer was love is communicated with much more than language. Everyone, young and old, feel the need for value in their life, purpose, and to know they are loved. It was a forum where I was free to share the full Gospel message. The love of God exhibited through the gift of His Son. This is NOT America, but people are God's creation wherever they find themselves geographically. People need to understand the real reason for Christmas. We don't need a "bailout" governments vote on - we need a Savior!

This afternoon, my first performance will be for Primary School students (about 500)! Pray for clear translation, joy and love to be communicated to the eager audience.

After a brief rest (and a PB&J) I will perform for J's combined classes. The conference room can accommodate 300. Pray it is filled to capacity! Pray for the questions. Pray for the Holy Spirit of the Living God we serve to answer with life giving, life changing truth.

T.I.N.A.

This is not America. This is the Harvest Field. "Red, and yellow, black and white - all are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the WORLD."

"On your knees, pray for harvest hands" Matthew 9:38 the Message

Hands serving, face smiling.

Popular Posts