LOST

There is not much to watch on TV here in Ghana. Fortunately my friends have a collection of DVD's to select from to keep us entertained once the sun goes down.

A few days ago we were reading through the titles when they said, "We have the first season of the television series "Lost," have you seen that?" I replied, "Are you kidding me? I love that show! I haven't seen the beginning, well - since the beginning. That gets my vote."

And so we began the journey that is the 21st century version of Gilligan's Island.

I interjected from time to time what I had heard about the series. How the creators knew from the start of the show how many episodes it would have (a luxury from a writer's point of view) and other trivia. But as I watched the show from "the beginning," I saw traces of "the ending." There were subtle hints woven in even throughout the Pilot Episode!

I just kept thinking, "Wow, what great storytellers. They pulled that element in at the finale." I have been thoroughly entertained - again. It isn't even because I "know how it ends." I appreciate the story and the intricacies of the plot line. What looks like a "bad" part, really has resolution later on. I'm not stopped by the "trying to figure it out," phase as so many fans of the series were. I am marveling at the "story." The elements that seemed haphazard the first time around, now make more sense.

I don't feel so lost.

I've read through the Bible each year for the past 20 years. Each December I reach the Revelation of John. From time to time I also read Eugene Peterson's book* on Revelation as well.

Peterson's book is not the classic eschatological exposition on the Revelation. Instead it focuses on the fact this is God's last word in His word. Chapter's discuss the last word on the Church, the last word on prayer, the last word on worship etc..

When I reached Revelation Chapter 12, the commentary was fresh again. The Beginning of salvation is written at the End of the redemption narrative:

"The Woman gave birth to a Son Who will shepherd all nations with an iron rod." Revelation 12:5

I found myself feeling like I did while watching "Lost." I was marvelling at the intricacies of the author and perfecter of our faith. God let us in on the secret from the very start of His story.

"He was chosen before the creation of the world" 1 Peter 1:20

It is well know the holidays cause stress and tension. People get depressed and there are more incidents of suicide during this season than any other. I think it is because people feel a sense of hopelessness at a time of year when everyone is supposed to feel hopeful. They don't see the details; how God worked out from the start the end and how the end ties to the start of our salvation story.
They are lost.

Tonight's episode (Whatever the Case May Be) had a scene that had us all in unison say "Wow." One of the characters is almost catatonic at the loss of a girl he was trying to help. An older woman assures him it is not his fault. He looks up with despair. She says, "You have got to ask for help." Later on they are sitting in front of a fire, he turns to the woman sobbing and says, "Help me." She puts her arm around him and says, "I'm not the person you need to ask."

WHAT!? We waited with breathless expectancy to see who she would tell him he needed to talk with. Would it be the protagonist doctor? Or the antagonist with the gun?

Instead, she said (on prime time television) "Heavenly Father, we need your help. We're here lost and we don't know what to do."

One of the recurring scenes starting the show has been the close up of an eye opening. The next time I open my eyes, it will be Christmas morning here on the continent of Africa (I am 6 hours ahead of Central Standard Time). My prayer for my friends around the world, near and far, is to keep your hearts open to the wonderment of His story. Look around with fresh eyes at bright lights on the tree and imagine the bright light of His glory. While looking at your small nativities, use a large imagination for the smell, the sounds and enjoy the beauty of a King willing to reduce Himself to the vulnerable nakedness of an infant. I think I would try to have His little fingers grasp on to mine.

He promises to reveal all the plot lines, and sub-plot lines and intricacies of our story to us in the end. Remember The Revelation, in the End, we win!

"Our response to the Nativity cannot be reduced to shutting the door against a wintry world, drinking hot chocolate, and singing carols. Rather, we are ready to walk out the door with, as one psalmist put it, high praises of God in our throats and two-edged swords in our hands." (Psalm 149:6) *Reversed Thunder: the Revelation of John & the Praying Imagination; Eugene Peterson

Merry Christmas
Charlynn

Pray for those who are lost!


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Popular Posts