R E I


"but now through a glass dimly..." 1 Corinthians 13 

I was hoping to get a glimpse of Mount Kilimanjaro while driving to the airport. Alas, it was cloudy and there wasn't much hope of a sighting. I kept my eyes peeled toward the sky, watching to see if the clouds would part and the breathtaking peak show itself. Pastor Lumwe was enjoying my treasure-hunt attitude and when we made the turn to the airport he said, "There it is Kilimanjaro!" "Where, where, where?" I scanned the horizon. "There," he chuckled and pointed in the direction of my gaze. 

It was only the sun reflecting off a high cloud. He laughed and laughed. I was thoroughly disappointed. 

It was early (like I like to be) and I waited in the lobby of the airport while little by little, other travelers came straggling in. With their backpacks in tow, clad in expedition gear, they looked like they had stepped from the pages of an REI catalog. 

Kilimanjaro climbers were easy to identify. They were tan, young, and fairly fit looking. They had a variety of hats, scarves, hiking boots and water bottles. I took a seat next to one and asked if she minded watching my bags while I "powdered my nose." We struck up a conversation when I returned and indeed, she had just climbed the mountain. I've heard its "climb-able" even for the novice. Then I heard the truth: 

It's hard! 

As I was checking in another "REI" couple were having problems at the counter. It seemed there was an Exit Tax not included in their ticket. The agent was unmoved by their plight. "Listen mate, we don't have any shillings, or dollars. Is there a cash machine?" She just shook her head, leaned back and was not concerned or helpful. Her only comment on the situation was "Cash only, no credit cards." She actually laughed at their cash machine inquiry. 

I know all to well what it's like to be in a foreign country trying to deal with an unexpected situation. I handed the agent the fee. They were very grateful and kept offering to purchase something for me inside. I assured them nothing was needed - I was glad to help. 

We met up again at the gate and they shared their Kili climbing experience. It was a delight to here the tale of their adventure told with animated Australian accents. "Shar-lee (I don't think she ever actually caught my name) it was SO HARD. I thought I was going to die! We trained for the altitude before we came but I was totally unprepared. Really, really hard" 

Here was a young, fit, outback Australian expounding on what it took to make it to the summit of the highest peak on the African continent. No need to put that on my Bucket List! 

Looking for Kilimanjaro always excites me. It never fails to make me think of the grandness of our Creator and His creation. Truly, it is so magnificent and HUGE; appearing on the horizon out of nowhere - it is just there. The few times I have been privileged to see it, it took my breath away. This trip wasn't looking to promising. 

When we boarded the aircraft, all I caught from the pilot's heavily-accented announcement was "Too cloudy today for Kilimanjaro." 

Waaaah! 

I buckled up and prepared myself for the long long long way home. This trip has been filled with long long long journeys. As we climbed high into the air, another announcement was made, "Cleared for Kilimanjaro." 

Whaaaaaat! 

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have been cleared to fly directly over Kilimanjaro, please prepare yourselves to take pictures." 

Wow! Breathtaking! 

With all the current events, downturns and upheavals, I keep looking up for the day of redemption is surely "drawing nigh." I know it's "there" just like Kilimanjaro hiding behind the clouds. I know I will see Him and behold His beauty. I AM prepared! 

I am outfitted: 

R EDEEMED 
E. TERNALLY 
I. NSURED 

This journey has been really hard. Perhaps not summit-climbing hard, but a difficult mission has concluded. 

I'm headed back mates 
Still coughing 
Still smiling 
In His service 

Popular Posts