"Can You See Me?"

“…you will be ever hearing, but never understanding, ever seeing but never perceiving.." Matt 13:14

It was dark by the time my flight finally reached Bombay. My luggage all came through (at significant cost) which surprised me but then there were the crowds of people to negotiate through to try and find my ride and dinner companions. As I made my way out the automatic doors, the night air, traffic sounds and smells, slowed my steps. I was trying to see if my greeters would see me. There are hundreds of people standing with signs but no one had my name on it. When the “Anglos” walk past people begin waving their varied posters, some professionally produced by business meeting and greeting clients – others hand scratched notes on scraps of paper - each looking to make connection with someone they don’t know.

When I came to the end of the barricade holding back the crowds – my fears were realized (once again) no one at the airport to meet me. While it is a familiar occurrence it is still a bit disconcerting. I had someone make the call to connect me with my “ride” (the Pastor’s brother) and then was left to wait.

Once they arrived and we were in our makeshift cab – the traffic swallowed us. The night closed in around us and the horns were relentless in their constant blaring, warning, signaling for squeezed through passageways.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? " Psalm 27:4

I never cease to be amazed how inches separate life, limb and certain death – but somehow with the aid of horns and brakes people make their way crossing oncoming traffic, wrong directional, no directional and just plain chaos without being crippled.

We came to a large bridge and stopped at the light just near the underpass. Immediately, we were surrounded by beggars - mothers holding infants knocking on the window, making gestures of hand to mouth and then pushing their children forward to further elicit sympathy. In the darkness you could see hundreds of children walking from car to car – negotiating their way through the pile up. Trying to determine which one would likely offer something for their effort and risk. One small girl – seeing a light person in a cab decided patience would pay off. She kept knocking on my window, making noises, calling out “Aunti, Aunti”. She held her face up to the glass – peering inside through cupped hands. Looking, waiting and working the system she has been brought up in. I could not make myself look at her.

I could not “see” her.

There was a great deal I did see under that bridge - hundreds of children, dogs, foraging through the garbage and – the fires, built for warmth, for light for food – perhaps.

I always take my cue from the nationals and ask about the appropriate response. Often it feels heartless and gutless.

One day on the streets of Hubli a beggar child approached the Pastor. I watched to see his response. He said a few words and turned her away. I questioned his reaction wanting to know how foreigners, but not just foreigners but Christ followers should act. He explained as long as they can make money begging they have no desire to better themselves. And when they receive response from well-meaning foreigners it makes the process and the pursuing that much greater the next time – a reward for bad behavior is how he put it.

And there’s the rub as they say. “Don’t give a man a fish, teach him to fish”. I ask – always “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, what about THIS?” Where are You?” I often hear His gentle answer to my anxiety “You’re here aren’t you – it means I’m here too.

When Christ told His followers: the poor you will always have with you.” I understand more and more there was NOT enough money in the world then – there is not enough money in the world NOW to solve the problems: children abandoned to the streets, simple medical care not available, lack of clean water and sanitation killing hundreds of thousands each year. He was telling them – AND me – AND you - there is only one solution to the problem “ME”.

"All His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He. " Deut 32:4

He explained service, “Whatever you have done to the least of these you have done so unto me”. He explained religion “pure and undefiled” is to look after widows and orphans. He explained prayer, “If you being evil know how to give good gifts, how much so your Father in Heaven – pray without ceasing.

He explained what we are to do “Go make disciples of all nations unto the ends of the earth, preach the Gospel.

In the dark night with a faceless child peering through the window of a dilapidated taxi – I felt her gaze and question “can you see me?”

I prayed to understand to see Him for HER answer.

"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." Psalm 31:24

Popular Posts