I see men as trees...


walking (Mark 8:24)

10:00 pm
Saturday
December 11, 2004
Behind the Bamboo Curtain

Before an audience of over 300 children and adults - joy was brought forth, the Message of love proclaimed, and laughter was heard in abundance. Despite lack of communication on the details, technical difficulties, language barriers and comic prop failures - those in attendance had a great time! So did I.

The Church issued invitations to children in attendance of their Sunday morning classes - most in the audience were well past childhood - yet all were young at heart tonight. They loved the "magic and tricks" and participated joyfully in the "storytelling". No matter where I go - that is my favorite part of the performance; involving the audience, interacting with the crowd, and sharing the "secret" deeper meaning of a childhood tale.

The story of the "Little Apple Tree" always receives great rounds of laughter and applause from the crowd. They love seeing the unhappy little tree (the smallest child I can find) in the middle of the forest (3 tall gentlemen) of strong important oak trees. "Oh if only I could be like the other trees in the forest, with stars twinkling in my branches" prays the little apple tree. Each time the apple tree prays, the Creator (of birds and bees and flowers and trees, and apple trees and oak trees and you and me) says "Be patient". After the seasons (and fancy hats) change finally the Lord sends a great wind, the oak trees bow down (to a huge roar of laughter) the apple tree shakes and an apple drops from its branches revealing the seeds form a "star".

Everything the apple tree desired, the Lord tells her "was inside all along". Everyone is happy, the trees take their bows (I take their branches) and the audience applauds.

I found an "ancient Chinese proverb" and I tell my audience it may only be that because I am ancient and now I am saying the proverb in China! "You can count how many seeds are in an apple - but you cannot count how many apples are in the seeds!"

"...it yields seed for the sower... so is My Word that goes out from My mouth. It will not return to Me void but it will accomplish all that I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it..."

Jesus healed a blind man by using extraordinary spit mingled with ordinary mud. He asked the man "what do you see" to which he replied at first "I see men as trees walking" Jesus touched the man again and he saw clearly. Perhaps, as people young and old across the globe are touched by the story... at first they are still only seeing "trees" but the Lord brings the water... the growth, the healing and the salvation of many. I have told the story of the Little Apple Tree thousands of times all across the world, sowing seeds of kindness, sharing the truth of His Word. It excites me to know it will not return to Him void. There IS a great Harvest coming!!

"you will go out in joy and be led forth in peace: the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,

AND ALL THE TREES IN THE FIELD WILL CLAP THEIR HANDS" Isaiah 55:9-12


May the applause of the "trees" in China tonight bring Him glory.

Popular Posts