Lost in Translation


...that they may not understand one another's speech... Genesis 11:7

I admit it is a hassle to use a translator in a foreign country. Especially, when interpreting is NOT their profession. Grammar, vocabulary, idioms you don't even realize you frequently use present problems. I can't begin to comprehend - after all I'm an American, I speak THE language!

In advance of my performance, I discuss the stories, the meaning I am trying to convey, the "suprise" revelation at the end of each trick. But nothing is scripted - I improvise much of the show varying timing and presentation so I won't be bored. But there always comes a time (generally after a brilliantly humorous line) I am faced with a curious silence. I turn toward the interpreter who meets my gaze with a blank stare as if to convey "what did you just say?"

Quickly trying to recover and keep the flow going I'll whisper a more general phrasing of my genius joke delivery. The words are interpreted, the audience laughs and the "show" goes on.

Sometimes, after several spoken sentences during a story the interpretation winds up being far shorter? I look quizzically at my "second voice" and they nod for me to proceed... something is definately lost in the translation! I feel like a ventriloquist throwing my voice to an uncontrollable "dummy" but which one of us is the real "dummy" probably the uni-lingual wonder dressed in ridiculous clothes and make-up?

Using a translator keeps me patient, It keeps me praying for clarity of presentation it makes me humble at my own lack of language skills. I try and stay diligent to find new ways to communicate across barriers of dialect, culture and language - I have to lean hard on the mercy and grace of the Father and the gift of His Spirit.

...for we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groaning which cannot be uttered.. Romans 8:26

Of course God knew exactly what He was doing way back there in Genesis at the "tower". He created in an instant many different languages - and thousands of years later - a clown still relies on words that cannot be uttered in any language. Those the Spirit is speaking to the listeners in the hidden language of their hearts.

Popular Posts